Choosing Cruelty-Free Products

I've never really liked the idea of animal testing, particularly when it came to beauty products. It just seemed so unnecessary and, well, cruel to me to torture animals for the sake of making a nice sudsy, perfumy shampoo. So, I made occasional efforts at seeking out products that didn't test on animals and was happy to find that Paul Mitchell shampoo didn't test on animals. But I didn't like having to go into hair salons or beauty supply stores (this was pre-Amazon) to seek out my shampoo, and the local grocery stores never carried it, of course. So, for a long while, I just purchased various types of shampoos and body washes at the grocery store for the sake of convenience.

Finally, I was at Whole Foods one day, and took a look at their bath and beauty aisles (or however they're labeled there) and found a whole host of products that weren't tested on animals. Whole Foods being Whole Foods, of course, some were pretty expensive and not very practical for that reason. However, some weren't that expensive, so I thought I'd give it a shot and test some out. Now, I'd tried some products (who shall remain nameless) in the past that were great from an environmental and cruelty-free standpoint, but I just couldn't stand the smell/taste/effectiveness of the product. So, I bought a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of body wash while I was there, and was eager to go home and try out my new bath products.

So, the next morning, I hopped in the shower, got my hair all wet, squirted the new shampoo in my hand and started to lather up. Only problem is the shampoo just smelled funky. I could never really pinpoint the smell. It was almost like rubber. Very weird. So, I was discouraged. Next up was the body wash. Got my little shower puff ready to roll and put a few squirts of the new body wash on there and worked it around. And this one was freakin' awesome! It smelled great, I was clean, and no little bunnies had to suffer at my expense. I was thrilled.

I've tested a number of products since then, and have had hits and misses. This is going to chronicle the ones I've really liked. I hope it helps you too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Mitchell

Cruelty Free Products for Sensitive Skin

A Cruelty-Free Body Wash for Men